Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Movie Review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)


Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)



This movie really doesn’t deserve any of the digital space on the L&G board, but at the same time I feel it is my duty to report the goods, thick or thin, and that I should at least give a warning or an “I told you so.” In any case, this will be short and sour.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) is a terrible movie. That being said, I knew that going into it, but I still went in, and no doubt most people have done the same. It is truly a sad day in society when you feel you need to go see something you know will be bad, but that is the case here, and I am guilty. Of course we all know why we must see it: robots in disguise beating the slag out of each other. And if there is one minute redeeming factor about Revenge of the Fallen, it’s that there is plenty of that, much more than the first one. Such a prospect, therefore, would require us to see it on the big screen, as it’s really the only way to get the most out of such an action plus/story minus flick. Still, the action is obviously excessive and difficult to savor because it feels like the camera/s are/were sucked up into the vortex of a tornado (i.e. that “watching a blender screaming at you” description), but that is far superior to the absolute negative story that is or is not there (I don’t really know). You know that Michael Bay is behind the camera when anything that doesn’t explode is denied seating at the TLC table. It almost feels like every “story” shot was only given one take, which would probably make sense considering the rush to get from one action sequence to the next; then again, I have no vested interest in the human characters anyway, so bravo Mr. Bay. As much as I would happily rail on Don Juan LaBeouf any day of my years of caring, he is the only one who actually tries in this movie, where as Meghan Fox looks like she’d rather be doing lines off her own body. All in all, it’s pretty painful to watch, I’m just glad I already had my appendectomy (thanks a lot Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)).

So in the end, I was one of the millions who shelled out some hard-earned cash to experience assault and battery on my visual cortex, but I felt like I almost had to do it. I guess hegemony has finally found its man and method; congratulations Michael Bay, you are the end of western civilization.

N/A / 5

McS

No comments:

Post a Comment